Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Finger Limes- Check these out!

I love when I learn about a new food I have never seen before.  I got introduced to this citrus fruit last week.  My friend handed me one and said there are “little balls of goodness” inside.  Like a kid in a candy store, I cut into the finger lime and this is what I discovered:




“Ewww. Fish eggs”, I said.  Yes, they do look like caviar, but they don’t taste like caviar.  Those little balls of goodness are actually called vesicles.  They have a slight “pop” when you bite into them, then a rush of tart, sour, and sweet.  The first bite I puckered like when I eat sweet and sour candy, but I couldn’t stop eating them because of the texture.  They are so fun to eat.  To eat them, cut length-wise like I did or even just cut one in half and squeeze all the little vesicles straight into your mouth.  Plus, since they are a citrus fruit, they have all the health benefits as other citrus fruits. 

Finger limes originated in the Australian bush, but are making their way slowly across the world.  They come in a variety of colors including yellow, orange, purple, red, brown, and black or a combination of colors as the ones I ate.  

Small finger lime farms are popping up around the United States.  The only commercial sized farm I could find that is growing them is called Shanley Farms in California.  Here is there website so you can learn more about finger limes and how you can get the opportunity to try them:

http://www.shanleyfarms.com/Page_2_QD6G.html

No comments:

Post a Comment