Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Brooklyn’s Food Allergy Skin Testing Update:

I promised Brooklyn over a year ago that I would never make her go through skin testing for food allergies ever again.  Last week, I reluctantly broke that promise.  We had a scheduled appointment with her allergist to see if she has out-grown any of her food allergies.  Bad news:  The doctor talked me into doing this skin test.  Good News:  She outgrew some allergies! 

Looking at the picture, the two big welts in the center of her back are peanut and walnut.  Her levels on the blood tests and on the skin tests are still very high, so it's suspected that she is still extremely allergic to those nuts.  But….she has tested negative on both blood and skin tests for almonds, cashews, coconuts, and pistachios.  This is great news since she once tested positive to all tree nuts.  Eggs are still the big unknown.  Her levels have slowly decreased with eggs but they are still registering as an allergic response during testing.  We are used to eating vegan baked goods now and having an egg allergy, in a way, protects her from accidentally eating nuts in baked goods.  That is the most common way that nuts are accidentally eaten, baked goods. 

So, I wanted to post this experience since many of you are going through the same thing.  The testing is horrible on Brooklyn but put in perspective, it’s a little thing that can change our life for the better.  We are starting with coconut as the first re-introduction.  I bought a coconut but have yet to talk Brooklyn into eating some.  My years of pounding the idea into her that she can’t eat coconut is making it hard and scary for her to try something new.  She is old enough to be aware of how huge this step is in her life.  I will let you know how it goes with the re-introduction of these new foods.

Now, I am on a mission to find almonds that are NOT processed with peanuts or other tree nuts.  If anyone has information on where I could find those, please share.  I am thinking I will have to go straight to the farmer, but it will be worth it to add those into her diet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment