Tuesday, September 10, 2013

uKnow Peanut Molecular Allergy Test: We Took The Test!


The results are in!  But before I tell you the results, let me tell you the story.  My daughter has NEVER had a severe allergic reaction.  If you read our story, you will know that she was diagnosed with severe allergies to nuts, and a whole list of other foods, when she was 2 years old through skin-prick and regular blood testing.  Yes, we are lucky to have never experienced a severe reaction like so many of you, but I was always left to wonder if the allergy was true.

Have you heard of the uKnow Peanut Molecular Allergy Test?  According to the company website (https://www.uknowpeanut.com/Default.aspx), the uknow Peanut Test looks at component-specific IgE blood test which look at a person’s level of risk of a severe reaction. 

While I waited for the test date to arrive, and then waited for the test results, I have to admit that I really started to believe, in my mind, that she had outgrown her allergy or that we had been dealing with an allergy that never was.  I started letting loose.   I was like a college girl who just moved out of her parent’s house for the first time.  I went wild-crazy.   I stopped discussing her allergies and only telling people when necessary, like when ordering food at a restaurant.  I stopped blogging about food allergies.  I pretty much started pretending that we live a “normal” allergy free life.  I started shopping for food and buying even when the label said “made in a factory that processes nuts”.  I got a small glimpse of what my life was like before her food allergy diagnosis.  I yearned so badly for that life that I created it my mind, even before we got the results.
So, drumroll please........
 
 
 
Well, here are the results:  Severely allergic, high risk of anaphylaxis.  It was like someone punched me in the face.  Somehow in these last few months of living with the idea that we may be an allergy free home, I lost site of the blessings that have come along with this diagnosis:

1.  We are a family that is aware of what we put in our mouths.  I learned so much about processed food and being forced to avoid it has taught me to look for healthy alternatives.
2.  I learned to cook.  I mean I always had marginal cooking skills but I am improving my skills all the time.  Making and eating homemade, healthy meals is so satisfying.
3.  By changing our eating habits, many of our friends and family have done the same.  It’s had the “Tipping Point” effect on the health of our loved ones and people we encounter on a daily basis.
And let this be a reminder to all of us with food allergies in our family:  We can’t let our guard down, we have to keep fighting.  Fighting to keep our family members safe and healthy.  Fighting to educate people on food allergies.  Fight for awareness.  I thought I didn’t have to fight anymore.  But I am back and I am here to fight for the greatest little gift I have ever been given, my daughter Brooklyn.

1 comment:

  1. We had the uKnow done, a while back, too, and it confirmed our daughter's peanut allergy. Though I find this test valuable, I do think they play up the "you might not have an allergy, after all" card a bit too much. I guess that's the point of the test, but it can be hard to have your hopes up like that, even for a little bit...

    ReplyDelete