Monday, November 21, 2011

Follow up from BOOK IT! Pizza Hut Reading Program

Guess What?  The BOOK IT!  program actually responded to my email about rewarding kids who have food allergies with something other than food.  Here is the casual email I wrote to them:

" My child is rewarded for the books she reads, through the book it program, every month, with a gift certificate to Pizza Hut for a personal pan pizza.  My children along with many other children in the country, has a food allergy.  Many food allergy children also can not eat at Pizza Hut.  My question is:  Have you ever thought of having an incentive or reward that is non food related for the many children who can not eat pizza ( gluten, dairy, nut, egg allergies)?  My child does her reading work just like the other kids but doesn't get to enjoy the reward as the other kids do."

And here is the response from BOOK IT!:

Thank you for your email.  Pizza Hut founded the BOOK IT! Program in 1985 and is the sole supporter.  Substitutions may be made at the restaurant, however, not all restaurants serve exactly the same thing.  Please visit with your local Pizza Hut restaurant manager to find out exactly what they can offer.  We would love to send your child some special BOOK IT! goodie items just so that she knows that we appreciate her meeting her reading goals!  We will mail them today.

Thanks!


WOW!  I will let you all know what they send Brooklyn.  I thought that it is nice that they recognize that reading is the main goal here, and they are willing to reward kids whatever way will work for the kid.  I am happy and impressed. 

Along those lines, I had asked in the same post if anyone had ideas for non-food rewards.  I had a good friend from my past respond with some suggestions I thought are great.  She is a 1st grade teacher and I would like to share her ideas so that we (parents) can bring some of these ideas to school boards:

*Some of their favorites are extra recess

*Being in charge of something for the day

*Using the microphone in class to tell a story

*Letting a stuffed animal sit at their desk

*Eating lunch with a friend and the teacher-me

*Extra center time

*Possible their most favorite of all is getting to use my chair!!!( I'll switch them chairs for the day and they go nuts over it!)

GREAT IDEAS!!! Thanks!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment